Migration management, landing page optimisation
Founded in 1926, Banham is a prestigious security company. Offering products which are meticulously designed, crafted and installed, their dedication has resulted in awards from the security industry as well as the Metropolitan Police. On March 7th 2019, Banham went live with a new website that revitalised the brand’s digital image.
Key aspects of the migration
- A new URL structure and a reduction in the amount of copy across the board. This led to a decline in visibility for key products post-launch. As part of a remedial strategy, Go Up tackled the burglar alarm page first.
Post migration 米6体育APP首页 goals
- Restore visibility for “burglar alarm” related search terms
- Encourage clicks within the burglar alarm topic
We had the following challenges:
- The site redesign reduced the amount of content on key ranking pages.
- Our remedial strategy had to retain the aesthetic appeal of the new design, and retain the character of the revised brand voice
Prior to the redesign and URL structure reshuffle, the Banham site had a dated aesthetic but ranked well for a number of competitive terms. The domain also already had a healthy backlink portfolio that included natural mentions from strong and relevant publications. At the same time, Banham had optimised and content-rich product and service pages.
While the backlinks would continue to provide value, as a result of the carefully planned migration to the new design and site structure, the sitewide content was going to be significantly reduced.
Migration management and monitoring
The immediate result was a drop in visibility for key areas of the site – which is to be expected during the fluctuation that site migration s often bring. However, these deteriorated results persisted for the next two months. That meant we had to take action.
In 米6体育APP首页, there can be a temptation to lead activities and strategies based on general trends and commonalities from successful 米6体育APP首页 campaigns. Simply put, in 米6体育APP首页 there are some accepted facts that you could easily assume are going to have a major steer on website performance. In this case, we saw product-centric and keyword-rich content was both reduced and replaced with more emphasis on the brand. In other words, there was less keyword density and less topic-related content.
米6体育APP首页 alarm bells are ringing! But should they?
This was not just a redesign; it was a migration to an entirely new URL structure.
- This means keyword density and content-depth are two moving parts within a far more complex mechanism that has suddenly shifted on other key factors including URL structure, HTML5, speed, structured data and so on.
- In this case, the other key factors were deemed to be satisfactory. In fact, they were more satisfactory than the site’s previous incarnation
Testing the theory
New page vs old page by key factors:
The new burglar alarm page is clearly less rich than its predecessor. Additionally, it appears less relevant and has fewer topic-relevant linked pages. We can see some clear shortcomings and can start planning how the new burglar alarm page might look.
2.1 Copy optimisation
Strategic keyword enrichment of existing copy (example):
Working with opportunities presented by new modular design; looks good, sounds good:
We added these elements to the page:
Inclusion of previously absent topic-relevant links
Inclusion of aesthetically-pleasing topical touchstones
Diversification of content formatting for greater user comprehension
Expansion of targeted content for specific user needs
Our recommended page by key factors:
All-Time Best Rankings For Alarm-Related Keywords
…And A Bonus For A Linked Page Within the Topic
Organic Traffic To Page /burglar-alarms/
+33% Organic Sessions YoY
Organic Traffic To Topic /burglar-alarms/+
+63% Organic Sessions YoY
Let’s start planning your project.
If you are interested in hearing about our services and what we can do to help your business, we would love to hear from you.